1. MONTHLY REPORTS
Financial review and analysis throughout the year is important, not only to help ease the year end burden (which is right around the corner!), but to be sure you meet the various University deadlines such as 90 days to request a redistribution of payroll activity, 90 days to submit grant cost-transfers and, among others, 30 days to submit travel expense reimbursements. We have provided a Preformatted Budget vs. Actual report, Online Inquiry pages or an option to download data to Excel for further analysis in order to facilitate this process.
2. 2013 TRAVEL EXPENSE REPORT
Per users request, we have made a minor change to the 2013 Travel Expense Report that will facilitate the inclusion of alcohol purchases within the daily maximum. If you have saved this report on your own computer, please visit your portfolio and download it again so that you can be sure you are using the most recent version. You can find the Travel Expense Report under Administrative Applications or, for your convenience, it is attached here.
3. ACCOUNT CODES
Attached is the most up to date list of WFS revenue and expense account codes. Please keep in mind the following:
- Revenues begin with a number seven and expenses begin with a number eight.
- Not every account can be used with any transaction. Smartdocs have additional coding that restrict the use of certain accounts. For example, you cannot use an account in the payroll account group (81010-81200) on an Accounts Payable voucher.
- Account Subgroups (indicated in bold on the attached) are for budget transactions only. Journal and/or vouchers cannot be processed using these accounts.
- In some cases we have provided multiple account numbers with the same description (For example see 83900 through 83907). This allows a department to institute more granularity within one general area.
- Please try to avoid the use of 82450 – Miscellaneous. In the coming months the Finance Department will be making some changes to try to facilitate reporting without using Miscellaneous. Some of the changes anticipated as of July 1 include 1)PCard activity that currently defaults to Miscellaneous will begin to default to a specific “PCard Unallocated” account and it will be expected that the Cardholder reallocate to the appropriate account, 2) Accounts 84540 Foreign Travel, 84550 Recruitment Travel, 84565 Student Travel and 84570 Professional Development Travel will be deleted. These descriptions do not fit the intended use of account codes. Instead we will be providing additional codes withing the Travel subsection of Lodging, Airfare, Meals etc. If the additional codes still do not meet your specific reporting needs you should contact the Finance Office (email@example.com) to discuss an additional Smartkey.
Please feel free to send additional account code suggestions our way as we are looking to make these changes beginning July 1.
4. WFS EMAILS
Do you feel like you are not receiving all of your emails for approvals of WFS documents? ITS has recommended that Junk email processing in OUTLOOK be turned OFF on your computer and let the University wide Junk email processor handle it from the server. The following are instructions for Outlook 2007. Other versions may have a Junk button on the toolbar.
- Go to the Actions Menu/Junk E-mail/Junk E-mail Options
- Click the first Option – “No Automatic Filtering. Mail from blocked senders is still moved to the Junk E-mail folder”.
- Click OK
5. PURCHASING NEWS
The Campus Activity Committee is sponsoring the 2nd “Taste of Middletown” on Tuesday, March 5th from 11:30 to 1:30 pm. This event will support our local Amazing Grace food shelter. For more information, see attached flyer.
WhiteWay Cleaners is offering a Dry-Cleaning Valet Service on campus. See attached flyer.
SUBMISSIONS FOR FINANCE MONTHLY What topics would you like to see included in this monthly communication? Do you have a system tip you’d like to share? Finance Monthly will be e-mailed on a monthly basis. Items for inclusion are due five business days before the end of each month and can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org