1. Year End
2. Travel and Other Expense Reminders
3. Minimum Wage Increase
4. Expiring PCards
5. Memorial Day Deadlines
6. WFS Changes – Voucher Attachments
7. Purchasing News
8. Budget Reminders
1. YEAR END
Year end is fast approaching. Smartkeys that spend evenly throughout the year should be about 83% expended to date.
You can find lots of information in the year end memo attached here or located on the Finance website. Reminder that, for the second year in a row, we are utilizing a shared Outlook calendar to post various Finance related deadlines. You can add this to your “Shared Calendars” using the attached procedures.
Year End Seminar
Still have questions about year end? Or just need a refresher? Please plan on attending one of three year end seminars being offered to review the year end process and highlight differences from normal financial processing.
Wednesday, May 11, 2:00 in Usdan 108
Tuesday, June 7, 10:00 in Usdan 108
Thursday, June 23, 11:00 in Usdan 108
In addition, staff in academic departments have an additional opportunity to attend the presentation and ask questions prior to their monthly meeting on Tuesday, May 17, 11:00 in Daniel Family Commons.
- If you have a voucher that needs to be paid now but pertains to the next fiscal year please ad hoc Susan Pavis as an approver into Workflow after Accounts Payable. It will be processed as a prepaid voucher.
- Remember to set an approval proxy if you are going to be out of the office. It is very important, especially at our fiscal year end, that all SmartDocs make their way through workflow in a timely manner. Please remind others in your department to set a proxy if they are out of the office.
- If you are a chargeback center or you have outstanding transactions that may hit a budget outside of your area, please be sure to process the transaction as soon as possible as departments are actively trying to predict year end balances.
- See attached for special instructions on year end PCard procedures.
- Come to the year end seminar to learn more.
2. TRAVEL AND OTHER EXPENSE REMINDERS
As year end events and business travel are being planned, please keep in mind the following highlights (nothing new) from the Travel and Other Expense Policy:
The University does not pay for:
- Travel insurance (including flight and baggage)
- First Class or Business Class airfare
- Charitable and Political contributions
- Parking fines and any other vehicle fines
- Alcohol outside of reasonable dinner hour
- Wesleyan faculty/staff attendees only business meals – In cases where only Wesleyan faculty/staff meet over a meal, and are not travelling, the cost of the meal is not reimbursable unless the primary purpose is to conduct a meeting in accordance with a specified agenda and there was no other time to meet during normal working hours.
In addition, IRS regulations require that travel expense reimbursements to employees be made in a timely manner. University policy states that reimbursement requests be made within 30 days from the date of travel return. While the Finance Office may make exceptions to this timeframe during the fiscal year, when the expense crosses fiscal years and did not have a previous accrual request, reimbursement will be denied. For example, if receipts are presented in September for a trip that took place the previous February, the University will not be able to reimbursement the traveler. If you are aware of travel that has occurred but receipts are not available for year end processing you should follow the accrual procedures outlined in the Year End Memo.
Employees should bear in mind that government agencies and other observers such as parents and students may perceive certain expenditures as being either excessive or inappropriate in the context of a regulatory audit, an IRS audit, or other similar review of University activities. Thus, moderation and discretion should guide all decisions to incur expenses on the University’s behalf.
3. MINIMUM WAGE INCREASE
A new money request to increase the student wage budget for the increase in the Connecticut state minimum wage increase was approved during the development of the 2017 operating budget. The new money funding will be allocated proportionally to operating funds 100 and 104 based on actual student help spent in the prior two fiscal years (2014 and 2015). All non-operating funds will need to fund this increase from their own resources.
4. EXPIRING PCARDS
Expiring P-Cards, May 31, 2106: University P-Cards issued in 2014 are due to expire on May 31st. Department Fiscal Managers and/or individual cardholders will be contacted to coordinate distribution of replacement cards beginning end of April through the month of May. Replacement P-Cards will include chip technology imbedded in the card for added security and wider acceptance internationally. Activation of the card will require cardholders to select a PIN #. Cards will also have a magnetic strip in order to complete transactions at merchants that have a traditional (non-chip) reader.
• Cards that have recently been replaced due to lost/stolen circumstances or fraud/compromise activity may have newer expirations dates. If you received a card without a chip, a replacement card will be reissued.
• Account numbers will not change (only magnetic strip, security code, and expiration date will change).
• Current cards will be active through May 31, 2016.
• Old plastic must be returned or properly destroyed prior to receiving a replacement card.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding expiring P-Cards, contact Tami Sabo at x2958.
5. MEMORIAL DAY DEADLINES
On Monday May 30th, the University will observe the Memorial Day Holiday.
All Accounts Payable Vouchers that must be processed for Friday, May 27th, must be received in the Accounts Payable Inbox no later than Friday, May 20th, at 4:00pm. Keep in mind that Wesleyan’s net terms determine the payment date.
Please contact Tamara Harley at extension #2843 or Crystal Flores at extension #2842 with any questions.
6. WFS CHANGES
Based on user request, as of July 1, 2016 users will get a pop up message if a voucher is attempting to be submitted without an attachment. The voucher will not be able to be submitted until there is an attachment.
7. PURCHASING NEWS
Please see attached Purchasing News for information on employee discounts at BJs Wholesale Club, Limousine and Taxi Vendors and much more.
8. BUDGET REMINDERS
Be sure to check your financial reports so that you are on track in your budgets. Assuming consistent spending throughout the year, budgets should be 83% expended.