1. Year End – It’s June!
2. Physical Plant Labor charges – a new look
3. Portfolio Buckets – WFS/Finance
4. Fiscal 2014 mileage rate
5. WB Mason – Water Coolers Filters Replacement
6. 4th of July AP Deadlines
1.YEAR END – IT’S JUNE!
The year end schedule is available here. The final year end seminar will be held Tuesday, June 11, 10:00 in Usdan 110 to go through the schedule in more detail and answer questions. The presentation given at the seminar can be found here. Some important points regarding year end:
- Determining the fiscal year: Actual expenses must be charged in the year in which they occur (i.e. travel takes place or goods and services are received). This may not be the same year as the budget. This is especially important to note in Fund 101 and may require a budget carryforward request from Academic Affairs in addition to an accrual or prepaid. Please feel free to contact Val Nye at x3192 with specific questions or scenarios.
- Accruals: You have until July 17 to request accruals for work performed or goods received in Fiscal 13 that have not yet been invoiced. This means that you can use the first couple weeks of July to collect actual invoices for Fiscal 13 activity. If you have a Fiscal 13 invoice prior to July 17 ad-hoc Susan Pavis as an Approver (not Reviewer) at the end of the workflow path on the voucher so that she can be sure the charge gets into Fiscal 13.
- Purchase Orders: Please begin reviewing purchase orders (PO) in funds 100, 101, 140, 601, 602, 651, 652, and 720. Any unused or remaining encumbrances must be closed out by June 30, 2013. Also, please keep this deadline in mind when creating new PO’s as they will not be available in the next fiscal year. The Purchase Order Smartdoc will default to Fiscal 14 on June 27. Please contact email@example.com to close a PO.
- Budget Errors: Budget errors (red lines) received on documents need to be fixed. If you receive a budget error on a Prepaid voucher you do not need to request an override. Contact Susan Pavis and she will provide the credit which will relieve the encumbered budget.
- Chargebacks: If you charge other departments for services performed by your department please do these more often during June so departments have the most up to date information in Inquiry as they monitor their budgets. Be sure to ad hoc the requester of the service on chargeback journals.
- Smartdocs Approvals: All Fiscal 13 Smartdocs must be fully processed. Remind your department approvers to set a proxy if they are going to be out of the office. Denied smartdocs must be either deleted or corrected and resubmittted.
2.PHYSICAL PLANT LABOR CHARGES
Physical Plant, in conjunction with ITS, are transitioning to a new process for posting Physical Plant labor charges. This effort is in response to user comments requesting additional information on these types of charges. Changes are being made to work order processing as well as WFS as follows:
Work Order Processing – Requestors will now get an email confirming the work when the order has been submitted and a second email when the work order has been closed.
WFS – Journals containing the charges will have a document ID that begins with PPL (Ex: PPL0005561) for easier identification. In addition, information from the attachment will now be available in the journal and in Inquiry. This will replace the attachment.
- A detailed description is provided in the Comments section of WFS Inquiry and in the Reason/Description area on the SmartDoc.
- The Requestor and Date of Service is provided in the Line Description field of WFS Inquiry and the Journal Line Description on the SmartDoc.
Due to this transition period and the fact that some charges are already in workflow, you may experience a combination of charges with and without this new information through the end of the fiscal year. Please contact Christine Cruz (firstname.lastname@example.org or x5687) in Physical Plan with any questions or concerns.
3. PORTFOLIO BUCKETS
The WFS/Finance bucket on the portfolio is getting a facelift. At the suggestion of the Best Business Practices Committee, it has been cleaned up and simplified. The new bucket for WFS/Finance will be released on Monday, June 10. Most users will see the following:
FY2013 Expense Report
New Vendor Request Form
Offline Budget Transfer Form
Offline Budget Planning Form
Wesleyan Univ’s W-9 Form
4. FISCAL 2014 MILEAGE RATE
The mileage rate will increase to 56.5 cents as of July 1, 2013. This new rate will be reflected in the Fiscal 2014 Travel Expense Report and should be used for travel that takes place after June 30, 2013.
6. 4th OF JULY DEADLINES
On Thursday, July 4th, the University will observe the Independence Day Holiday. All accounts Payable Vouchers which must be processed for Wednesday, July 3rd, must be received in the Accounts Payable Inbox no later than Thursday, June 27th at 4pm. Keep in mind that Wesleyan’s net terms determine the payment date. Please contact Tamara Harley at x2843 or Crystal Flores at x2842 with any questions.
<SUBMISSIONS FOR FINANCE MONTHLY What topics would you like to see included in this monthly communication? Do you have a system tip you’d like to share? Finance Monthly will be e-mailed on a monthly basis. Items for inclusion are due five business days before the end of each month and can be submitted to email@example.com